Saturday, February 19, 2005


These are a couple of quick design sketches for SW:Obsession #3. The ones on the left were some possible Durge face ideas and a few things changed when I got to drawing the actual page. Things just sort of progresses but I stayed with the same basic idea. The inspiration for his face actually comes from a lobster's body (although he has been compared to the Predator's face, that was actually something I tried to stay away from).

The ones on the right were his driver/pilot droid. That design stayed completely the same. He was described in the script as not being physically menacing but still somewhat dangerous. That's why he's got the long fragile limbs and sleak body.

This is marker on tracing paper ( sorry for the strange discoloration).Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brian,
Love the sketch, wish we had seen more of Durge's droid though in Obsession #3, he had a "sinister" look that matched him well to his master :)

Great blog btw, look forward to more comments, I am bookmarking this site ;)

3:26 PM  
Blogger BrianChing said...

Timb-- Yeah, I wish we had a little more of him too. It kinda sucks to spend time designing some of the characters and only drawing them in three panels. But at the same time most of the action in a comic goes on between the panels ( I think Wil Eisner said that).

Nacranor-- Thanks! Sorry there's so little to see here so far. This is all kinda new to me so bear with me.


I will try and post new images up a couple of times a week. In the meantime, let me know if there's anything you guys would like to see and I will try and accomodate.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home