Saturday, March 04, 2006

Zayne..



This is the final character design I did for Zayne. He was the only character in KotOR that I didn't really struggle with at all. He pretty much came out right as I was sketching him. The trick here was to try and make him look somewhat familiar to us without ever having seen him before. He had to look like he belonged in the Star Wars world. My only real condition when creating him (and the rest of the Jedi) was I didn't want anyone to have the big brown robes that they all wear in the Prequels. It looks like it would be a pain to move around in and I never understood why they didn't always remove them when fighting. Also, I had spent so much time drawing them in Obi-Wan and Anakin in their robes on previous projects that I was a little tired of it-- it always gets in the way!

As the series has gone on and I'm getting more accustomed to drawing Zayne, you'll see some changes here are there. No more decorative gauntlet on his left forearm. He's a lot shorter now than in this sketch. I've also tried to round out his face just a tad to make him look a bit younger-- I've always had problems with that but I think it's getting better.

3 Comments:

Blogger Evan said...

Cool! I really like the way he turned out. His look fits comfortably into the Star Wars galaxy.

What's the significance of the red thing around his neck? Is that some kind of scarf?

4:59 AM  
Blogger BrianChing said...

Thanks, Evan! The red thing is sort of like a scarf-- just a neck wrap to break the v shaped line from his tunic ( we always see the lines of the Jedi tunic crossing near the base of the throat creating a v-shape).

Also it's the kind of wrap we always see on Knights in Medeival type movies. I just think it looks cool. It's not as as neat and clean and that fits Zayne's personality.


-Brian

12:06 AM  
Blogger Evan said...

Ah, ok. I think it looks cool too.

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home